County LogoClallam County, Washington

Drilling a Well

The Washington State Department of Ecology regulates well drilling for both individual and public water systems. 

Wells must be drilled by a licensed well driller.  Check the yellow pages under ‘Well Drilling'.  Your well driller will manage the permitting process for you, completing the application and getting approval from the Department of Ecology. 

If your well driller does not give you a copy of your well log after the well is drilled, we suggest that you request one from them.

Environmental Health Division

We provide water testing services, and suggest that you have your water tested after your well is completed.

If the well is drilled as part of a construction project (new home or commercial building) in Clallam County, verification of water availability is required as part of the permit process.  This is obtained through Environmental Health.

Please also visit our webpages about about protecting your well from contamination and disinfecting your well if it becomes contaminated.

Clallam County Health & Human Services
Contact Information | Email Us