The Clallam County Sheriff’s Department is now a registered contributor to the Nixle® community notification service. The web-based service, provided by Nixle LLC, is a geographic-based public notification system available free of charge to residents of Clallam County.
Nixle is a Community Information Service dedicated to helping you stay connected to the information that matters most to you, depending on your physical location. The service is built on the most secure, reliable, and high-speed distribution platform, ensuring that you receive trusted and immediate, geographically relevant information.
Information is immediately available over your cell phone by text message, by email, and on the Nixle website.
Your account can be customized so you receive the information that matters most to you. Whether it is where you live, work, or have friends or family throughout the country, the information is immediately available to you over your mobile phone, email and computer.
Other positive aspects of Nixle:
* Free - for the public to receive e-mail and text messages and free to send them. (Standard text messaging rates apply).
* Authenticated, secure and reliable - Senders must prove they are who they say they are before sending (unlike social networking systems).
* No advertising - no spam, no sharing, and no selling
* No user monitoring - or tracking of user information by Nixle®
* Public subscribers - anyone can opt-in or opt-out to receive messages.
* Geographically-specific messages using address, address with surrounding radius, and zip code to pin-point delivery to requests.
* The National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (NLETS) houses Nixle® servers in their secure facilities and integrates Nixle technology into their network.
* Awarded The Most Innovative Product Award at the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) conference in October 2009.
Do I have to give my mobile phone number?
No. However, the strength of the Nixle system is the delivery of real-time messages when you’re on the go. The best way to stay up-to-date with important information that could affect you and your family is to receive notifications by e-mail and mobile device.
Can anyone track my location by using the system?
No. Nixle does not track users.
What does Nixle do with my contact information? Will third parties contact me?
Information shared by users with Nixle is stored on a secure server in a secure facility. The company does not sell personal information to third parties. The privacy of your personal information is extremely important to us.
Can I enter multiple addresses (locations) in Nixle?
You initially enter one address to begin the registration process. Once registered, you can click on “Locations” and add as many additional addresses (locations) as you would like at no cost.
How many text messages will I receive in a month?
This will vary depending on the number of notifications published. The service is simple to change text (SMS) and email options.
Note: For text only alerts standard text messaging rates apply based on your carrier.
Can I limit the number of text messages I receive?
You can limit the number of text (SMS) messages by adjusting the type of messages you receive.
You can opt out of any service except public safety Urgent and Important messages. For example, you can choose to receive Urgent and Important messages on your mobile device and e-mail and community news in just your e-mail.
How do I know an text message I received is real?
Nixle goes through an extensive identity certification and authentication process before authorizing any agency or organization to publish information into the service.
Can I respond to a message?
No. However, if you wish to share a crime tip or other information contact the Clallam County Sheriff's Office.
Anyone can view Nixle messages without registering. However, to customize the information you receive and the locations you receive it from, in addition to receiving information by text message and/or email you must set up an account. Once registered you can personalize your locations and your preferences, making the service fit your needs
Registration for Nixle® is easy and only takes a few minutes. Only routine information is required in the registration process.
- Visit Nixle® , go to the residents (center) section and click on the "Start receiving alerts today".
- You will be asked to provide
Register for one location to begin, More than one location can be registered.
Select which messages you will receive and from whom.
- Your name,
- Username and Password
- Physical address (or closest cross street) e-mail address, and cell number. This information is required to receive geographically specific information.
Note: For text only alerts standard text messaging rates apply.
Try Nixle Before Registering
Anyone can view information on Nixle without registering.
- Go to www.nixle.com main page.
- Scroll down to Navigate and Discovery
- Enter your address, town name or zip code and click "GO
Check current messages from local agencies and organizations, or view other cities, counties, or zip codes in your area.