County LogoClallam County, Washington

Food Worker Cards

Food Worker Cards (also known as 'health cards' or 'food worker permits') are issued locally by the Environmental Health Division on behalf of the State of Washington Department of Health.

New! Food Worker Class Online!

Who needs a Food Worker Card?

Anyone who works with food in a restaurant or other facility needs a card. This includes cooks, servers, dishwashers, espresso stand workers, caregivers, grocery stockers and more. If you have any question about whether you need a card, please contact the Environmental Health Division.

How soon do I need to get a Food Worker Card?

Washington State law requires that anyone who works in a restaurant or other food service facility must obtain a Food Worker card within 14 days of beginning employment. In order to help food workers meet this regulation, Environmental Health offers walk-in classes in Port Angeles, Sequim and Forks or you may take the class online.

How do I get my Food Worker Card?   -   Class Schedule

  1. Study the handbook: Food Safety is Everybody´s Business - Washington State Food and Beverage Workers´ Manual.
  2. Pay the $10 fee, attend the class and pass the exam.

See the class schedule for times and locations in Port Angeles, Sequim and Forks.

How do I attend a Food Worker Class?

We offer five or six regular Food Worker classes each month: three or four in Port Angeles, one in Sequim, and one in Forks.

  • The Food Worker classes are walk-in classes only. There is no pre-registration for these classes; the $10 fee, payable in cash or by check, will be collected at the door. You may register at the class location 30 minutes before the class begins.
  • Check our class dates, locations and availability.
  • Bring cash or a check for the registration fee. We cannot accept registrations over the phone, and do not accept credit or debit cards.

Class locations:

  • Port Angeles afternoon and evening classes are held in the Public meeting room (Commissioner’s Board Room) in the Courthouse. For the evening class, you will have to use the outside entrance to the meeting room, located near the flag pole on 4th Street.
  • Sequim classes are held at the St. Luke´s Episcopal Church.
  • Forks classes are held at the Forks Memorial Library.

See also Washington State Food Worker Course Online! NEW!


How do I prepare for the class and exam?

You may pick up a booklet called Food Safety is Everybody´s Business at the Clallam County Environmental Health counter in the courthouse prior to taking the class. This booklet is the food and beverage workers' manual, and is yours to keep for future reference. It covers food safety basics to help you understand the class and prepare for the test. We have booklets available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Punjabi, Vietnamese and Russian.

The Seattle-King County Public Health Department has also put this manual on the web. It is available online in English, Spanish, Chinese, Punjabi, Korean, Russian, and Vietnamese.

What is the class like?

Please be early or on time. Late arrivals will not be admitted to the class. Total class time is about 1½ hours. Our Environmental Health Specialist will talk about important food handling procedures, have a discussion period, and answer questions you may have about the information in the Food Safety is Everybody´s Business book.

The exam is at the end of the class and consists of 32 multiple-choice questions. Tests are graded immediately. If you pass the test you will leave the class with a valid Food Worker Card.

What if English is not my best language?

The book and test are available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Russian. Please let us know when you sign up for the class if you need a test in a language other than English. We also have a picture test available for people who have difficulty reading one of these languages.

Feel free to bring a friend that you trust to translate for you during the training and the test. Clallam County is not able to provide translators. Please contact Environmental Health if you have any questions.

How long are Food Worker Cards good for?

Two-year new cards: Your first Food Worker Card will be good for two years.

Three-year renewal cards: Three-year renewal cards can be issued if your old card is current or will expire within the next 60 days. You must take the class and pass the exam even when you are renewing your old Food Worker Card.
Please bring your old card to the walk-in classes to verify that you are eligible for a renewal card. If we cannot verify that you are eligible to renew, you will receive a two-year card.

Five-year renewal cards: If you are renewing your permit and had at least four additional hours of food safety training approved by the State of Washington, you may receive a five-year renewal card. This additional training must have been within the last two years, and you must bring us proof of the training (certificate or card).

What happens if I lose my card before it expires?

We can replace Food Worker Cards that were issued in Clallam County, and have not expired yet. If your card was issued in another county, you will need to contact that county for a replacement card.

You may come to the Clallam County Environmental Health Division and get a duplicate card. We will look up your card in our files and database. If we verify that you took the class in Clallam County and are eligible for a replacement card, we will replace your card. There is a $5.00 fee for a duplicate card.

I got my Food Worker Card in a different county in Washington it still valid for Clallam County?

Yes! Food Worker Cards obtained in Washington State are valid in all counties of the state regardless of where you took the test. Unfortunately, records are kept separately in each county, so if you lose your card you will need to contact the county where you got it for a replacement. Clallam County is not able to replace cards from other counties.

NOTE: Food Worker Cards from other states are not valid in the State of Washington as food safety requirements vary from state-to-state. You will need to take Washington's required Food Worker class and pass the exam to obtain a Washington State Food Worker Card.

Clallam County Health & Human Services
Contact Information | Email Us